Sunday, September 6, 2009

Getting excited about ALCOHOL

So, I am sitting here in my apartment on this labor day weekend listening to the sounds of drunk people outside. I say "drunk people" because most people aren't naturally that loud or excited with life. I thought to myself about people's experiences with liquor and how "fun" it is too drink and "be merry." I noticed people's statuses on Facebook about going to places that are alcohol-based and wonder why they are sooo excited. Now, keep in mind that I drink on occasion and I am NOT judging. I want to know what it is about alcohol that makes someone so happy that God can't also do.

Shouldn't we be "drunk" on the Lord? I am guessing that people gather around and drink because it gets rid of some of their stress... but isn't that stress still there when they wake up the next day hungover? I think of parties and certain musical events and wonder if they would even have ANY audience or people attend if it wasn't for alcohol. It seems that people want to forget who they are for a moment and become this brave person. But honestly, you look like idiots!!!
Haha! I can say that because I use to look like that. And the sins that arise from drinking can sometimes be devastating.

I think it was after I received the Lord that my Spirit convicted me. Slowly but surely I felt the painful effects of sin. My friends and family noticed the effects alcohol had on me physically and emotionally. I would cry most every time, and for the sake of not stumbling others I will not mention the other effects. It wasn't crying over things like relationships or "my life sucks," but I felt that I was hurting the person inside me. I was not acting the way that Jesus acted. My mom use to say,"Why do you want to take Jesus into the bar with you?" I didn't realize that it hurt him to hurt myself that way. Now, remember that each person is different and if God hasn't touched you on a specific issue, then basically you are ignorant to it until the light is shined on it.

So, I will continue to make mistakes, but learn from them. We are all growing at different levels, and the more He reveals to us, the more we have to take it in and follow it. He wants to use us, but can't if we are living in sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment